Monday 15 May 2017

The first step(s)

I've got a fair few weekdays off over the next month - the byproduct of a very intense April workwise.

After an intentionally very slow weekend taking time to myself, I finally took the chance to go to the local Lib Dem campaign office, or at least the local one that is considered the best target seat - Southwark in my case, and offer to help out.

I get emails about canvassing rounds being run around the neighbourhoods every evening, but firstly, I don't get out of work in time for them, and secondly, I'm not confident talking to people I don't know.  I go in and ask about something that doesn't involve that, knowing I'll probably get send out in some way.  There's 2 large tables full of little old ladies and new mums scribbling out addresses on envelopes.  I get asked if I'll go out delivering focus letters.  It's not ideal.  Ringing doorbells makes me nervous.  But I get it; I'm young, I can walk around, it's the first time they've seen me and they don't know if/when I'll be back.  And it's important to get the word out.  I'm willing to earn my stripes.  I packed with a bottle of Lucozade, bag of Minstrels and a new set of headphones for this eventuality.

It's not much, but it finally feels like I'm doing something.  When I made my decision, I had no intention of joining the Lib Dems for lip-service.  I want to be active and engaged.  I have to fit that around my rather demanding work schedule, which is problematic and frustrating.  I finish 2 rounds and go back for another 2 more.  My day is brought to an end by a dying phone battery more than time restrictions on my part (must buy a new battery pack!).  It's 584 doors worth of deliveries (less 10 in a building I couldn't get access to).  No doubt a very small proprotion of what there is in Southwark.  But I'm willing to accept that maybe out of that 1 person will feel engaged with and that's enough to keep me satisfied.

I'll go back.  I didn't intend my involvement to be a one-off either.  I have a handful of days off over the next month in the run up to the election and I can hopefully do more.  If I can get the chance to stay in the office and help there I'd love to do that; because I think I'd learn a lot myself just being in that environment.  It's also the way I'm most likely to stand of getting to know who the local lib dems are given I'm not keen on canvassing.  But for now, as a newbie, helping out in the face of a snap election, I also understand the value in being useful where I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment