Wednesday 20 September 2017

Hook, line, and sinker

Today was my first day back at work, after my first Party Conference and oh boy do I have the post Conference blues.
I registered for Conference pretty last minute, other personal commitments having not been settled till quite late - I did at least manage to just avoid having to go to what was clearly going to be the Room of Shame and pick up my pass on arrival, it instead arriving by mail a few days beforehand.
A friend of mine who is a long standing Lib Dem was attending and was able to offer me a spare bed in his already booked hotel room on such short notice, which helped to keep costs down, and gave me a solid base, along with easy introductions to some people to find my bearings. I downloaded the app and started adding things to my personal schedule on the train down.
I was somewhat nervous about attending, being able to only think of 3 people who I might know already going, on top of long standing social anxiety and mental health concerns and so my ability to talk to people and make friends amongst a large group of strangers was a little under question.  Conference was a thing I knew I was either going to love, or hate, and there was only one way to find out.
Dear Conference, I should not have been worried. 
I went from sitting with my friend and a few people he knew on the first night to the next night eating at a comically long table with 20 people from my local party and dancing/singing like an idiot at Communi-oke till 1am. 
Within 24 hours I was experiencing the common problem of it taking 15 minutes to walk even between rooms next door as you bumped into so many people you knew - I can't imagine what it must be like after 20 years of this.
In fact, as with everything I have done with the Lib Dems to date, I LOVED every moment of it.  From my first policy vote and the feeling of true engagement with the party process, to fascinating talks and speeches with party luminaries, excellent and focussed training that was designed superbly given the massive influx of new members & attendees who are eager but inexperienced, and of course, the many many drinks receptions.  And just as you're told as new member, if you go up to stranger and start a conversation, they will be delighted to talk to you - it really is true!
One day, no doubt, I will meet some quarrelsome figure within the party and come across things I really dislike (although I did go to the excellent training session on 'Dealing with Difficult People' which got across some useful techniques for dealing with conflict in all areas of life, not just Party matters), but for now, the impression the Liberal Democrats have made on me is impeccable and a credit to the Party's values.
I have fallen hook, line, and sinker for my new found politicsm and involvement with the Liberal Democrats and if I didn't know it before, Conference has definitely proved it to me.  I've come away with a host of new contacts, new motivation to get even more involved, and I'm already looking forward to when I can register for my next Conference.
By then I might just have got over the shock of what exactly I walked into at 'Glee Club'...

No comments:

Post a Comment